CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS OF THE NORTH SALEM SOCCER CLUB
ARTICLE ONE – NAME The name of this organization shall be the North Salem Soccer Club, Inc. (hereafter referred to as “NSSC”).
ARTICLE TWO – NATURE OF THE ORGANIZATION
Section One Purpose The North Salem Soccer Club, Inc. shall be a nonprofit corporation under the laws of the State of New York dedicated to promoting soccer in the Town of North Salem and the North Salem Central School District. The NSSC shall endeavor to develop the best possible program for the youth of the Town of North Salem.
Section Two – Mission Statement - The NSSC’s mission is to provide a safe and positive opportunity for the youth to enjoy and become enthusiastic about the game of soccer, thereby fostering their social, emotional and athletic development.
Section Three – Goals
1. To provide a welcoming and enjoyable atmosphere where youth are treated with dignity and feel they belong.
2. To introduce the NSSC teams to developmentally appropriate levels of competition.
3. To focus on the longterm player development with a lesser emphasis on winning games.
4. To help players reach their fullest potential through training sessions that are organized, fun, exciting, progressive and uptodate.
5. To develop players who possess sound skills, a solid understanding of the game of soccer, and a readiness for entry into higher levels of the game.
6. To promote good sportsmanship among players, coaches, parents and spectators.
7. To provide an experience which enhances and develops positive selfesteem while providing the feeling of being a contributing member of the team.
8. To provide an environment that protects the physical and emotional safety of all constituents.
9. To provide fair and impartial training opportunities for players to acquire the technical, tactical and physical skills necessary for advancement in the sport.
10. To assist players in developing the virtues of honesty, commitment, dedication, perseverance, selfcontrol, hard work and respect for self, teammates, officials, opponents, fans and property.
11. To encourage an atmosphere of working together and bonding as teammates to achieve a common goal and positive team spirit.
12. To promote the ongoing development of coaches and officials to enhance the overall soccer experience.
Section Four – Affiliations The North Salem Soccer Club shall be affiliated with the youth division of the United States Soccer Federation (USSF) as a member of US Club Soccer and locally with the Westchester Youth Soccer League (WYSL) and shall at all times recognize their authority, rules and regulations.
Section Five – Jurisdiction The area of jurisdiction of North Salem Soccer Club shall include all of the State of New York.
Section Six – Teams The NSSC will organize soccer teams principally for those in the Town of North Salem and the North Salem Central School District. These teams may be for those up through the age of nineteen where interest exists on the part of players and coaches. The North Salem Soccer Club fosters and promotes participation by Town of North Salem players but allows each individual coach to make his or her own determination, after notifying the Board of Directors, as to allowing outoftown players to be members of that team. All teams forming to enter the Westchester Youth Soccer League (WYSL) will hold “Skills Assessment” sessions and publicize the sessions appropriately. Whether to hold subsequent “Skills Assessment” sessions or not is at the discretion of the NSSC First Vice President Travel overseeing the formation of the teams. The First Vice President – Travel shall consider the recommendations of the Team Formation Committee and the individual coaches of each team.
Section Seven – Colors The representative color of the North Salem Soccer Club shall be royal blue and white. All teams of the NSSC shall wear identical uniforms consisting of royal blue jerseys with white trim, royal blue shorts and royal blue socks. All teams must have a set of alternate white jerseys with royal blue trim. All uniform jerseys shall have the NSSC logo displayed on the front left chest.
ARTICLE THREE – MEMBERSHIP Section One – Officers of the Executive Board
1. The President shall be the chief executive officer of the club and shall preside at all meetings. The President shall be the principal representative to the affiliated organizations although that responsibility may be delegated.
2. The First Vice President Travel shall serve as President when the President is absent. If the President resigns or is unable to complete the term, the First Vice President Travel assumes the role of President. The First Vice President Travel shall be the coordinator for the formation of new NSSC Travel teams. The First Vice President Travel with the assistance of a Team Formation Committee shall coordinate “Skills Assessment” sessions and assure that these dates are properly publicized, oversee the implementation of NSSC policies and practices concerning travel teams, oversee the recruitment of volunteers to fill the positions of Coach, Assistant Coach and Team Manager for each team.
3. The Second Vice President In House shall serve as the President in the absence of the President and the First Vice President Travel. The Second Vice President In House shall be the coordinator of the NSSC In House program. The Second Vice President In House , with the assistance of the Team Formation Committee and an In House Coordinating Committee, shall coordinate the activities, schedule, assignment of players to teams, recruitment of volunteers, etc.
4. The Registrar shall be responsible for the distribution and collection of registration materials and all matters regarding the registration of players and coaches affiliated with the North Salem Soccer Club. He or she will be the principal contact with the WYSL in all matters regarding registration of players and coaches. The Registrar shall maintain or delegate the responsibility for the registration of players and coaches affiliated with the NSSC In House program.
5. The Treasurer shall have charge of the financial affairs of the club. The Treasurer shall maintain an account of club funds, pay bills as required, keep records of club finances and report to the members no less than quarterly about the financial status of the club. The Treasurer shall maintain subaccounts within the NSSC account for each of the active NSSC U12 and above teams as of the 20152016 season. The Treasurer shall maintain responsibility and delegate assistance from a volunteer with regard to the NSSC In House program. The Treasurer shall be responsible for ensuring that required quarterly and annual tax filings with Federal and local tax authorities are made on a timely basis.
6. The Secretary shall take the minutes and record Board members’ attendance at all Board of Directors meetings, quarterly mandatory general meetings, and any other official meetings required by the Board. The Secretary shall coordinate the distribution of general NSSC information to all NSSC Participating Members. The Secretary shall coordinate the management of the NSSC website.
7. The Field Coordinator shall arrange all use of fields (and gym space) with coaches both for practices and for games. He or she shall be the principal contact with the school district, the town, other town sports organizations and the WYSL on issues regarding use of fields. The Field Coordinator shall be certain that fields are properly lined and equipment is maintained or delegate that responsibility accordingly. The Field Coordinator will work to assure coordination of field use with the NSSC In House program.
8. The Head Coach shall promote the development of youth soccer players by providing the youth player with the highest level of coaching available through the NSSC. The role of the Head Coach shall include mentoring and training the coaches of the NSSC; assist team coaches with identifying coordinated goals for the development of the youth players with the goals geared toward the progressive development from training session to training session, season to season and year to year; assist team coaches with planning and organizing training sessions to focus on the development of specific individual and team skills and tactics: provide team coaches with opportunities to further their knowledge of soccer and ability to work with youth players through coaching certification courses and/or the development of a soccer library.
9. The Referee Coordinator shall assist with recruitment, development, training, certification and assignment of referees for travel and In House programs of the NSSC. The Referee Coordinator shall interface with the WYSL Referee Assignor to assure that all NSSC home games have proper coverage.
10. The Immediate Past President shall assist with the transition to the new President to help facilitate the continued operation of the NSSC. The Immediate Past President shall be for a one year term and shall be a nonvoting officer of the Executive Board.
Section Two – Player Members
All players properly registered with the NSSC shall be considered Members and as such shall have the right to play soccer with the NSSC. Parents or guardians of Members shall act as their representatives with the NSSC.
Section Three – Participating Member There shall be a class of Member designated as Participating Member which shall mean the Team Representative (Head Coach, Assistant Coaches or other Representative) and Officers of the Executive Board. In the event a Team Coach or Assistant Coach is paid for their services, such person shall not be entitled to be a Participating Member or to cast a vote otherwise to be cast by a Participating Member. In such event, a majority of the parents of the players (one parent voting per player) on the team which has a paid Team Coach or paid Assistant Coach shall designate a parent of a player on the team to be the Participating Member in place of such paid Team Coach or paid Assistant Coach to cast the vote otherwise to be cast by such paid Team Coach or paid Assistant Coach. Such designation shall be effective for the entire season, unless such designated parent fails or is unwilling to fulfill the duties of such designee.
Section Four – Team Coaches and Assistant Coaches Team Coach shall mean a person registered with the NSSC and WYSL as theTeamCoach.The Team Coach shall be the primary coach formed in accordance with these Articles and shall serve for a term of one year. Assistant Coach shall mean a person registered with the NSSC and WYSL as an Assistant Coach. The Assistant Coach shall be the assistant to the Team Coach and shall serve for a term of one year. Each team shall be limited to two Assistant Coaches.
Section Five – Elections Election of Executive Officers shall take place at a general meeting to be held in May or June as terms are coming to an end. The Executive Officers shall be elected by a majority vote of the Participating Members. All Participating Members may vote (one vote per team and one vote per Executive Board Member). All Participating Members must be present to vote. Should a Participating Member be absent, a representative can be appointed to vote in their place by informing an Executive Board Member in advance.
Section Six – Term of Office Terms of NSSC Board members have been staggered to maintain consistency in the process and our mission. Any vacancy that occurs during the year may be filled by nomination of the President and approval of the Executive Board and shall last until the next election. For the transition from one year terms to two year terms, an incumbent Officer of the Executive Board shall have the option to continue for a one year term (20152016).
ARTICLE FOUR – AMENDING THE BYLAWS
Section One – Quorum At least five members of the Executive Board must be present to constitute a quorum. No decisions shall be considered binding unless there is a quorum at the meeting.
Section Two – Amendments Amendments to the bylaws may be proposed by any voting or nonvoting member of the club. Only voting members may cast a vote. A 2/3 vote of those present is required to amend the by laws.
ARTICLE FIVE – FIELD ASSIGNMENT The NSSC Field Coordinator shall update the Club Field Information Section on the WYSL website at the start of each season (fall and spring). The field assignment and scheduling is done by the WYSL League Scheduler.
ARTICLE SIX – GAME SCORE REPORTING All coaches will report the scores of their home and away games to the NSSC Score Reporter on the day on which the game is played. The NSSC Score Reporter will report all scores to the WYSL in accordance with the WYSL Operating Procedures.
ARTICLE SEVEN – GAME CANCELLATION POLICY Soccer games will be played as scheduled unless field conditions prohibit or in the event of lightning. Light to moderate rain should not cause the cancellation of a game.
ARTICLE EIGHT – FEES AND FINES Section One – Team Fees Each team shall contribute $30 per player to the North Salem Soccer Club for common expenses. Section Two –Representation at Mandatory Meetings Any team that does not have a representative at a meeting of the North Salem Soccer Club will be fined $50.